Friday 26 May 2017

Letters to African Parents


Today i'd like to talk about one thing majority of African parents love to do that makes them seem like they have favourites


Disclaimer: I am talking about majority of Nigerian parents that I've met and I obviously can't speak for the other African countries but I've done my research and some also share my views on this. Again I repeat I do not have any huge problems with African parents as they have my full and utmost respect and I do not want to sound contradicting but I just believe like everything else that improvements can be made here and there.


In some African households, the pressure put on the eldest child is enough to make one feel like a wrestle mania participant. The eldest (most especially if its a girl) is basically a mother/father in training whether they signed up for it or not. They automatically take up the responsibility of looking after their younger ones and also the responsibility of getting blamed for everything.

This can be very daunting, as an older sibling myself, I can tell you that its not easy being the eldest at all. You get blamed for the plates not being washed even when its not your day to wash plates, you get blamed for some unknown person (that still hasn't confess up to today) breaking some expensive decor in your living room even though you weren't home when it happened.

One thing I'm sure we all know too well, the scapegoat of the house is just possessed by the devil, so although he/she always gets shouted at, within minutes its forgotten and they have done something else but when you make one silly mistake, everyone hears about it, including your extended family in Nigeria that you haven't seen since you were like 5 years old.

Also that thing of going outside with your siblings to mind them when they know perfectly well that you've passed the going outside stage ;s Please is it by force to go outside?

I've always wondered why majority of African (most specifically Nigerian) parents love to do this, so I stylishly asked. Apparently it is because as the oldest, everything you do matters, you are the first product your parents produce together, you are God sent, everything you do, your siblings are watching and looking up to you, you can't afford to mess up because they more than likely will want to follow in your footsteps and most of all they are preparing you for what the world may throw at you and also for when you get to your husbands house.

Of course I completely understand that they are our parents and they love us and only want the best for us but please ease up, its not a great feeling that comes with getting blamed for everything, please let me actually enjoy my childhood without feeling like I have children and the the weight of the world on my shoulders.


#Teenageproblems
We love you really and truly :*
Chat ya later:* xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment